I have always had time for peoples’ stories, but it was only in 2002 that I entered my professional training as a counsellor. Within a few short weeks of entering my study I knew I would love this work.
I started my counselling career at a community agency working primarily with couples and families. Alongside this I also worked with individuals and youth. When entering private practice in 2008, I gained accreditation with the Family Court, doing relationship and couples counselling for them as well as mediation for couples going through separation.
In 2014 there were some changes to the Family Court system and I was additionally appointed to provide pre-mediation counselling for the Family Dispute Resolution (FDR) services though both Presbyterian Support Family Work and The FDR Centre. Here I work alongside lawyers and mediators providing assistance for families going through separation and divorce.
I had lived all my life in Zimbabwe until coming to New Zealand in 2001. My life has taken me on an intensely rich and varied path so I am able to relate to many of the emotions clients share. I believe this makes me more receptive, more proactive and more empathetic in my approach. I have never met a client I don’t feel empathy for.
I believe that talking can help. So whether it is a relationship issue or something else life has thrown at you – contact me. I would love to support you.
- The New Zealand Association of Counsellors (NZAC)
- Manawatu Family Courts Association (MFCA)
- New Zealand Education Institute (NZEI)
- New Zealand Association of Positive Psychology (NZAPP)
- Family Court
- Primary Health Organisation
- FDR Centre (Family Dispute Resolution)
- Presbyterian Support – Family Works (FDR)
Experience and Training
- UCOL Diploma in Counselling 2006
- Marriage and Couples Counselling
- Facilitation of Parenting programs
- Facilitation of Youth and Parent Anger Management Programs
- Supervision of phone line volunteers for Parenting Crisis Line
- Assistant Tutoring of UCOL Diploma in Counselling (Faye Garnham Centre)
- Appointment as Family Court Counsellor (Relationship Counselling)
- Appointment as FDR (Family Dispute Resolution) counsellor
- Facilitator-Mindfulness and Mind Mapping workshops
- Ongoing professional development as required by New Zealand Association of Counselling
Theories, Modalities and Strategies – eclectic mix
- Narrative Therapy
- Emotionally Focussed Therapy
- Interactive Drawing Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, or if you would like to make an appointment.
MNZAC, Counsellor, Registered with NZAC
Palmerston North Counselling
My name is Gail. I offer individual counselling and relationship counselling.